The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Wish List

Old 09-16-2016
Cadet

An unsuccessful effort was made to reform the division in the hollow in front of the batteries. Failing in this, the command was reformed beyond the Bowling Green road and marched to the ground occupied the night before, where it was held in reserve till the night of the 15th, when we recrossed the river.
Accompanying this report is a list giving the names of the killed, wounded, and missing, amounting in the aggregate to 179 killed, 1,082 wounded, and 509 missing. When I report that 4,500 men is a liberal estimate of the strength of the division taken into action, this large loss, being 40 per cent., will fully bear me out in the expression of my satisfaction at the good conduct of both officers and men. While I deeply regret the inability of the division, after having successfully penetrated the enemy's lines, to remain and hold what had been secured, at the same time I deem their withdrawal a matter of necessity. With one brigade commander killed, another wounded, nearly half their number hors du combat, with regiments separated from brigades, and companies from regiments, and all the confusion and disorder incidental to the advance of an extended line through wood and other obstructions, assailed by a heavy fire, not only of infantry but of artillery--not only in front but on both flanks--the best troops would be justified in withdrawing without loss of honor.
The reports of the brigade commanders, herewith submitted, are referred to for details not contained in this report.
My thanks are due Col. William Sinclair, Sixth Regiment, and Col. A. L. Magilton, Fourth Regiment, for the manner in which they handled their commands. To Colonel Sinclair particularly, who had command of the advance during the whole day, and who was severely wounded, I desire to express my obligations for the assistance rendered me.
The members of my personal staff, Capt. E. C. Baird, assistant adjutant-general; Capt. Alexander B. Coxe, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and Lieut. A. G. Mason, Fifth Regiment, aides-de-camp, deserve my thanks for the prompt and fearless manner in which they conveyed my orders to all parts of the field.
The loss of Lieut. Arthur Dehon, Twelfth Massachusetts, my aide, is greatly to be deplored, as he was a young officer of high promise, endeared to all who knew him for his manly virtues and amiable character. The public service has also to mourn the loss of Brig. Gen. C. Feger Jackson, an officer of merit and reputation, who owed his position to his gallantry and good conduct in previous actions.
Others have fallen of distinguished merit, and there are many of the living whom it will be my pleasure hereafter to bring to the notice of the Government for their distinguished acts of gallantry. At present I must refer to the reports of brigade and regimental commanders.

I remain, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
GEO. G. MEADE,
Major-General, Commanding Division.
Old 12-24-2016
1st Lieutenant

Default merry christmas to all

merry Christmas to moseby; wherever you are.