The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Wish List

Old 07-25-2013
Corporal

Default Garrisons....

....I understand it has been discussed before, but the lack of initiative on the garrisons part at times frustrates me. The garrison troops at harrisburg neither reinforce or barrage enemy forces when being attacked. No option for counter attack exits. Of course, when I am playing the CSA, I depend on this for a successful assault. But when playing the union, and reading my staff reports, I am confounded that the artillery merely sits there with no barrage and other units offer no reinforcing assistance. At times the harrisburg garrison performs heroically and at other times cowardly....I take it mead had no authority over the garrison troops.
Old 07-25-2013
Administrator
General

The "Garrison" units are city Militia. So while they were technically part of the Northern Army they functioned as independent units. Hence Meade has no ability to command them. I think what may be frustrating to you guys is: 1. Militia units are ordered to Defend only (no Reinforce). 2. You can't tell what their Zone of Control is (and hence where they will engage enemy troops, and where they wont). Hummm... Ill take a look at how difficult it would be for me to display Militia with a different unit symbol and/or display their ZoC.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2013
Quartermaster Sergeant

Militia ART default order should be barrage not defend.
Somewhere between the CSA units entering the map grid and the militia units loss to CSA attack, why couldn't militia command transfer? Having militia retreat from the position they were assigned to defend, then be useless in counterattacks, or future defense of the objective frustrates me more, but the absurdity of having major objectives taken and held by single CSA CAV or HQ's numbering fewer than a hundred, while several thousand militia sit idle within an hours march away is what frustrates folks the most.
Old 07-25-2013
Administrator
General

I get it, but the amount of coding involved for something like that is just too great (at least for right now). So the options are leave it as is, or remove Militia all together...

Jeff
Old 07-26-2013
Quartermaster Sergeant

LOL, that's easy, it's balanced and plenty fun just the way it is.

Software changes always look simpler to those of us that don't have to edit the thousands of lines of code to implement.
Perhaps less code intensive options, such as changing militia orders to Barrage and reinforce, and/or transferring command of a few BDE's (eg. the 2 near Harpers and/or 1-2 BDE's in HBG to a Union commander from the onset of the game are options.

It's already a great game and we recognize it was a challenge to balance the odds so each side has an even shot at winning.
Old 07-26-2013
Administrator
General

Ill talk with Ranger and see if we can brainstorm an easy solution. I worry about changing Militia orders to reinforce. A smart CSA commander could very easily draw out the Militia, leaving the city objective exposed. Barrage for the Art should be possible, but thats on Rangers end
Old 08-24-2013
Recruit

I guess someone might wanna take a look into that.