The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Southern Camp

Old 07-12-2011
Cadet

Default Beta 306

I tried to split the Army of Virginia into two. Roughly one corp and 2 corp in another. The first corp stealthily and quickly marched NE toward Baltimore while the 2 corps tried to head due east battling their way toward Washington.

The first corp did get to Baltimore but they were to worn out to take it. The Federals arrived on our heels and now we are trapped between Baltimore and the advancing Federals. The army is disintegrating before my eyes on the gates of Baltimore.

The two corps that started due east made almost no headway. I hurled both corps at the Yankees again and again and they never moved an inch. Now Yankee reinforcements have arrived and we are running day and night to keep away from the Yankee sledehammer.

It was my first game and I lost alot of troops "learning the ropes" so I may have handi-capped my strategy from the start. I may try it again someday but there are other strategys I will try first.

Gen. Dane Rosell :
Old 07-25-2011
Captain

The union forces a numerically superior to the south. the advantages the south have are terrain and cohesion.
The advantages of terrain are the ability to block the limited avenues of approach across the mtns. and rivers. As has been demonstrated to me recently ; union losses are severe in the extreme when these approaches are entrenched and properly defended. However, a breach in any one can spell disaster. even defending these approaches adequately can afford the southern forces to forstall a large portion of the union forces and allow a commander to consentrate against smaller less consentrated forces until parity in strength is reached.
The advantages of cohesion are that at the beginning of a campaign the union forces are widely dispersed allowing for an aggressive assault against small contingents. protracted assault, however,allow for a rapid union consentration and can cause damage if the south is unable to extricate itself quickly. economy of force then is imperitive. the cohesion of the southern forces also allows for the movement of a large force simultaneously that can deter small groups of union raiders that attempt to interfere with the movement towards an intended goal.
The cohesion factor and the terrain factor employed together give the southern commander the abiltiy to out maneuver his opponent if he act quickly and decisively. wavering once a plan has been initiated will only cause harm. detaching small bodies of troops from the main army to forstall an enemy will only result in the loss of troops peicemeal.
One other tidbit; we here alot about concentration; here is what is important to know about concentration. "dispersal" is the mother of concentration. and that is all i'm gonna say about that..
Old 08-01-2011
Cadet

Default Southern Tactics

I agree almost completely with your analysis of the southern position. The only point we are not in complete agreement is the neccesitty of having screening units out around the main body of the army. I feel it is a major advantage if you can see where and how many enemy there are and where they are coming from. Seeing the speed with which they advance will also give you clues about their effective strength. Keeping the enemy from seeing your main group until you are prepared for him to see it has obvious advantages as well. I think that if/when a different system is used for finding enemy units screening will become even more important. Just my opinion of course.

Gen. Dane Rosell :
Old 08-01-2011
Administrator
General

Yes screening for both sides will become more important once we implement phase II Fog of War (unfortunately no eta on this yet).
Jeff
Old 08-01-2011
Captain

I agree w/ you 100% on the necessity of screening. the disadvanatges for the southern forces is the defficiency in cavalry and the rapid decline in % fit for duty in cavalry units. when cavalry is used (by south) to screen it handicaps the commander from having an effective quick strike force when it may be adavntageous to have one on hand. this then necessitates the use of HQ units for screening w/ the disadvantage of the screening units having no defensive capabilities.... I would say that using HQ units and the smaller cavalry squad to scout/screen would be the lesser of the evils facing the southern side.... glad someone else reads the forums..
Old 08-01-2011
Private

I agree that the fit for duty % takes a beating on cavalry units. Even if you try to use them sparingly, you will still have a 55% or even lower fit for duty %. That will make the "Fog of War" add on that much more difficult. But I do look forward to the "Fog of War" option. Stealth and terrain becomes even more important. Love it.
Old 08-01-2011
Captain

i feel uninformed... what is the fog of war option?
Old 08-01-2011
Administrator
General

Fog of war is not optional, just the obfuscation of what you can see. So right now if you have a unit on a map you can see the whole map. No unit = greyed out map with no intelligence. At some point in the future our plans call for "regional" views (FoW II). Where maps are divided into quadrants with your view reduced to only quadrants that you have units in. Then after that we are considering a FoW III that will be hex based (meaning each units "sight" is determined by things like terrain and unit type). No ETAs on either of these.
Jeff
Old 08-02-2011
Cadet

I have a tendancy to oversceen. I just like to see what is going on. My fit for duty % does take a beating though. Other than not forced marching or moving at night does anyone have any tips for getting duty % up faster or keeping it up? For example do units in towns recover more quickly? Do units over a certain % drop more slowly?

Gen. Dane Rosell :
Old 08-02-2011
Captain

Default %ffd

i have been experimenting with this, but it is too soon to say at this point. i have noticed certain tendencies. would it be wrong of me not to share my findings?