The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Announcements

Old 01-02-2013
Administrator
General

Michael,

Happy New Year to you as well.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you and NBF understand that we do hear you, and we plan on mixing things up at some point. Just no guarantee when or how we get to that.

As a side note, our intern turned in a newly revised poster map the other day (with a changed font for the map writing). I need to make a test print, but we're getting closer on that front.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2013
Administrator
General

update

Going to be slow going for a while guys. I cut my hand yesterday and lucky me I hit a tendon. So looks like Ill need hand surgery. Not sure how long this is going to set me back for yet but Ill update you all once I get an idea.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2013
Corporal

Thumbs down

Dang! Good luck with the surgery and we wish you a speedy recovery!!!!
Old 02-14-2013
Administrator
General

Surgery went well. Sounds like about a 6 week recovery time, so not much coding on the UI will be happening for a while. Just wanted to update everyone.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2013
Quartermaster Sergeant

Six weeks of beer and bon bons
Happy Valentines day!
Old 03-14-2013
Administrator
General

Im currently working on making some updates to the manual. If you have some suggestions please let me know (barrage and weapons are already in progress).

Jeff
Old 03-16-2013
Corporal

greetings Jeff,
in the manual: is york and columbia 50 points per turn held or 30?
CSA objectives: it may be worth considering allowing the CSA to withdraw it's. army after it has achieved certain objectives. for example, after perhaps 2000 points in objectives have been obtained ( york, harrisburg, and major towns held ) the confederate army can then attempt to withdraw its forces back across the columbia river. perhaps for every 10 men they safely extricate they receive a point? In this way, the CSA can strike the union capitals and then retrieve it's army intact and break the will of the union. It would also allow for the possibility for games to end earlier than waiting on the july 10th date. The union commander would then have to try to chase the CSA back across the map...while an astute CSA commander would have to choose between trying to slug it out till the biter end or make a dodge for safety.
Fog of War: have infrantry units only reveal the immeadiate 5 to 10 hexes surrounding it and HQ's and calvary reveal the immeadiate 10 to 15 hexes around it. As it is now a unit in a map can garner good info on a great amount territory. this would make the screening and probing orders much more pertinent. The chance of corps and armies stumbling upon each other would be increased. The need for careful intelligence and recon would also be increased. The possibility for ambush and surprise could be enhanced as opposing commanders will want to probe and screen a bit more as they march across the landscape.
The union has an advantage knowing up front the the CSA will move against objective cities. If the CSA can capture a certain amount of objective points, and this triggers a new victory bonus for the CSA by allowing it to attempt to extract it's army before the union can close in and destroy the army one may find a whole host of new strategic possibilities at hand. And if the fog of war is changed then commanders will be forced to react quickly to changing info and intel..
Then again, the game is very playable the way it is and I enjoy it greatly!
Old 03-19-2013
Administrator
General

Hi zobs,

Sorry, didnt see this until today.

York and Columbia are 50 per turn. Thats a typo Ill correct in the next version of the manual that Im working on right now.

Fog of War will get an upgrade eventually to a unit-by-unit hex based view, but thats not until C63 is generating enough income to let us start working on it full time or hire some help (whichever is cheaper). We have a road map for all kinds of new features like that, but it will take us a while to get there.

The CSA objective system you propose sounds fun, however programming wise would be rather problematic. We planned on implementing a victory point based system that would end games early if certain conditions are met. Ill check with ranger about possibly moving that up in the work queue.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2013
Corporal

Thumbs down

I think that Zobs may be on to something! Affording the CSA to garner points after securing certain achievements and then forcing the USA troops to rethink strategy and pursue CSA may be a game changer in some instances. I kinda like the idea of garnering points and then moving on rather than holding a location.
Old 03-21-2013
Quartermaster Sergeant

Jeff,
How will "Fog of War" conside the companies of cavalry and infantry typically attached to Infantry Corps HQ and Army HQ elements in the CSA/Union order of battle, the inherent ability of indivual brigades or regiments to detach scouts as necesary, as well as other more intangible forms of intelligence gathering and communication wrt to enemy troop movements, such as civilian reports via telegragh, rail, newsprint etc... Perhaps we should consider consulting the order of battle and "detaching" more cavlary companies to act as scouts. In a few cases C63 has already done so( eg. Randolphs CAV reg and Pennsylvania E&I) but not all. Scouting and signalling were dettached unit functions at company or lower level and will be challenging to replicate in a brigade/regiment based game.