Old 01-19-2014
Sergeant

Default ///////////////

////////////////////////////////

Last edited by EVERS; 05-19-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spell
Old 01-20-2014
Administrator
General

Well, construction of a pontoon bridge would take several weeks, and since our turns are 1/2 days construction of said bridge would take most of the game. You have to remember that logistics wise moving stuff like pontoons around would take forever back then. Its not like they had cargo planes to drop supplies wherever they were needed. Not a bad idea, but doesnt quite fit the feel we're aiming for. Now a WWII game....

Jeff
Old 01-22-2014
Administrator
General

You're correct, Im not a C.W. expert and I don't claim to be Im a game designer. I wasn't saying that the bridges would take time to erect, I was trying to say that the logistics of getting the supplied needed would take a long time, but I must have done a poor job.

We do consult with several historians as needed during development. When possible I try and couch our game design decisions within the theme of the game (Im trying not to break your "Immersion" as a player) and that was what I was trying to do here. The underlying reason we chose not to allow bridge building was pretty simple. In our very early tests it unbalanced and broke the game. Choke points (like the bridges/fords in C63) are really important in game design for forcing conflict and when the engineer units were allowed to remove the need for control of the choke points, things got boring...

We may add the bridge building ability in other versions of our games, but for C63 it doesn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion evers, we really do appreciate it. Keep the suggestions coming. We love hearing what you guys want to see next.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2014
Administrator
General

Thats the bug we're working on right now. No ETA on a fix, as it looks like it may require a major re-write of one of the engine systems

Jeff
Old 05-20-2014
Recruit

Default on another note

how about an overall map view showing where all units not in fog of war are located?
Old 10-09-2014
Cadet

How did Washington retreat from Brooklyn Heights?

How did he cross the Delaware?

Did you know that in the Harrisburg area the river is not navigable because in some places it is only 2 feet deep?

What is a ferry? How hard is it to build one?

The problem here, as I see it, is that you are making a demand on a server game that is beyond the realistic capability of the authors to satisfy. Games that offer the kind of detail you want are either downloaded onto your computer or are on a disk.

To offer a game that can be played from a cloud, sacrifices have to be made for the sake of making the game playable.

I agree that this map presents rivers as if they were the Maginot Line, but the answer is not greater detail in the programming, rather greater accuracy in the maps.

Do you really think that there were stretches of river that went for so many miles without fords or bridges?

As the admin explained, he (they) have made a subjective decision to guide the game-play in a direction that they feel would be the both engaging for the player and simple enough for a server based game to implement.

This is not a particularly detailed game. It is played more on the "macro" than the "micro". If you are willing to give up the tactics on a regimental level- choosing your ground and maneuvering your regiments within each battle, then we should be willing to live without the relatively minor enhancement of pontoons.
Old 01-04-2015
Corporal

...there is no need to fear esteemed commander evers; The army of North Virginia is one of peace, love, happiness and liberation. As your annoying scouts can testify, the army is comfortably encamped just a wee bit south of wiliamsport, along that peaceful and tranquil stream..the name of it escapes me now....patiently awaiting your armys arrival. Why we be planning a grand reception for ya......should be a hoot and a holler and one heck of a blast (:
Old 01-12-2015
Cadet

If I was getting paid in Confederate script I would hang around capital too
Old 01-14-2015
Cadet

1) apparently, if two toothless goobers from Alabama spend the night in a WASH whorehouse, the Union loses the war

2) ALL war games have objectives. If "capture the flag" doesn't turn you on, what would you suggest? Remember, it is only in make believe where an army can lose 90% of its men and still claim victory

3) in game CSA, move has not processed
Old 02-02-2015
Sergeant

chapter L. volume 2 Grants Memoirs
The 5th corps, General Warren commanding, was in advance on the right, and marched directly for Germania Ford, preceded by one division of cavalry, under General J. H. Wilson. General Sedgwick followed Warren with the 6th corps. Germania Ford was nine or ten miles below the right of Lee's line. Hancock, with the 2d corps, moved by another road, farther east, directly upon Ely's Ford, six miles below Germania, preceded by Gregg's division of cavalry, and followed by the artillery. Torbert's division of cavalry was left north of the Rapidan, for the time, to picket the river and prevent the enemy from crossing and getting into our rear. The cavalry seized the two crossings before daylight, drove the enemy's pickets guarding them away, and by six o'clock A.M. had the pontoons laid ready for the crossing of the infantry and artillery. This was undoubtedly a surprise to Lee. The fact that the movement was unopposed proves this(the beginning of the overland campaign)

Last edited by EVERS; 02-03-2015 at 12:58 AM.