The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Off topic

Old 06-25-2015
Administrator
General

Default How dumb is Apple?

Sheesh...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/25/884...ate-flag-games

Yeah, burying your head in the sand is always such a great idea...
Old 06-26-2015
Quartermaster Sergeant

I just read Antietam and Gettysburg national battlefields removed all CSA battle flags from the grounds and CSA flag bearing gifts from the gift shops.
Old 06-26-2015
Captain

Default states rights

In view of the recent supreme court ruling, the concept of states rights is more relevant than ever and that is the significance of the battle flag of the CSA. the right to protest and defy an oppressive federal authority.
Old 06-27-2015
Cadet

The game to which this forum is attached is one of the best and I am fond of the people who contribute to it.

I offer the following with humilty and respect...

United States
Constitution

Article 1, Section 10 - "No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation"

Article 3, Section 3 - Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Article. V - The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress

The signing of the U.S. constitution by the original states, and those who came after, was made as a legitimate compromise/contract. The Confederate States sought to break their commitment.

The battle flag of the Confederacy is an artifact of the United States' history and should be displayed as such. But, it should never be associated with any state or federal institution.

The Confederate soldier was brave, resilient, but was mis-guided by those who for their own economic stakes led them astray.

Honor American fallen by choosing a legitimate symbol, there are so many.

Please do not judge me as against States Rights, I am not, but any government, Federal or State, requires the People's scrutiny
Old 06-28-2015
Sergeant

Well, no body told the guy next door to stop displaying, all he does is drink Kentucky bourbon, and listens to lynerd Skinner's 24\7, with the confederate battle flag prominently displayed in his front picture window.
Old 06-28-2015
Administrator
General

This is a summation of my own thoughts on the matter and does not reflect on MES or Ranger

Historical Revisionism is terrible and never a good idea, even the “accidental” varietal recently enacted by Apple through their knee-jerk reaction to remove any and all games with any confederate flags from the iTunes store. While their thinking might be that it’s just plain safer to avoid any and all controversy on this what they ended up doing is potentially causing far more damage than they realize. Followed to its conclusion historical revisionism can lead to all sorts of incorrect thoughts, teachings, and ideals. We as a country can’t simply scrub our past clean and ignore one of the darkest, bloodiest, most divisive eras of our history.

This arbitrary enforcement by Apple is rather troubling for a few reasons, however the most troubling reason (at least to me) is: What else will they remove simply because other retailers are doing the same? Don’t get me wrong. I believe that Apple is well within their right to choose what to place in their own marketplace. And I understand the reasoning in removing it from State institutions. However the potential consequences of Apple's actions reach much further than perhaps even they realize. As the snowball of the flag ban starts rolling, where exactly does it end? Does Valve jump on board? Google? Would that scare away the larger publishers? If the AAA publishers won’t touch a game with a confederate flag, then how likely is a small publisher to take on such a risky investment? Now suddenly the “voluntary” ban, becomes much less voluntary. And just like that, there are no games about one of the most important periods in American history.

Some have argued that Game Labs and HexWar chose to use the most offensive version of the Confederate flag (and one that wasn’t even an official flag of the Confederate states). However game design often requires us (especially those of us who attempt to make historically accurate games) to make decisions regarding icons and graphical representations in regards to our audience. Not very many people even know what the official CSA flag is (or even that there were several versions over different periods of time). We as designers often have to use cultural touchstones in order to reach our target audience. Sometimes its just easier to use “short-hand”, and if the general public identifies the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia with the CSA then it's easier to just use what they expect rather than have to spend the time and energy explaining to your players (over and over again) why that “other” flag is used for the CSA.

I truly hope Game Labs continues their stance of standing by their design decisions. Historical Revisionism is terrible in any and all forms, and never a good idea - “Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it” - Edmund Burke
Old 06-14-2016
Captain

Default long time no see

Zobs! good to see you again.
Old 04-04-2017
Corporal

Spies — Private SNAFU

US National Archives

US National Archives
Subscribe36,039