The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Wish List

Old 10-29-2014
Administrator
General

Default Clash of Command: C63 on Steam

Hi guys/gals,

So we are currently working on the new version of C63 and I thought it might be a good idea to check in with you all about where we want to deploy the game.

Right now C63 is browser based (specifically the User Interface) is built in Adobe Flash. The new game (working title: Clash of Command) will be built in Unity3D and we want to deploy to Steam for a wide variety of reasons. The only concern we have is that we need to find out if you guys (our target audience) know about Steam and use it?

I'd love to know if:
  1. You know what Steam is
  2. If you use Steam
  3. If you would play the new game on Steam
Thanks for the feedback:

Jeff
Old 10-29-2014
Cadet

1. No
2. see (1)
3. Maybe
Old 11-03-2014
Quartermaster Sergeant

1. Not until you asked.
2. Tried it. Seems OK.
3. Yes.
Old 11-05-2014
Cadet

Smile

Only have had vague reference to Steam in the past.

At your urging I visited the site. The games visible to a visitor did not seem to include any of your genre. There is perhaps a deeper list of whats available?

As to "would I play", that would depend on how Steam offers your product. I assume the player would need to "buy" the game? Then what happens?

Would you be relying on Steam to attract new players or would prospects be re-directed from your site?

As per earlier, If the latter is the case, then I would repeat my advice to work on getting the best possible "click-bait".

I am no expert on this subject, but suspect that "Clash" and "Command" will not get as many hits as "Civil War", "Game", and "Free".

Certainly there are experts that you can consult?
Old 11-05-2014
Recruit

Steam has, in the past 2 years or so, become the de-facto PC gaming platform with roughly 6.5 million concurrent users per day and a rough total of 75 million users in all. Games (numbering in the thousands) run the gamut from blockbuster AAA titles to tiny independent studio offerings, with every game genre fairly well represented (though we think we see a gap in strategy war gaming). Some for purchase and some Free to Play (You might see me refer to this as F2P). Steam also has a very robust set of community features for players that we hope to take advantage of.

Clash of Command will not just be a Civil War game, rather a strategy war gaming platform that will utilize "scenarios" of which C63 will be the first (since we have a tested and balanced scenario to deploy). This is also why CoC is not specifically titled as a Civil War game.

Some of this I wasn't really ready to talk about yet, as were still feeling things out, but Ill go ahead and lay out our current thinking. CoC will take us away from the current subscription model into a true F2P system. Right now the plan is to monetize quick turns. What I mean by that is that any 1 player in a game will be able to pay for a "quick turn". So if a quick turn is enabled then once all player orders are submitted the turn is processed and the game is ready for the next turn. This will also be combined with speed play games that will have short turn deadlines (20-30 minutes or so???). Obviously included then is a pausing system that will let you guys take breaks in your gaming sessions. *** PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***

One of the reasons we are considering Steam is that they have a huge existing user base, so while we will continue to attempt to pull in users from the internet we hope that Steam will provide an enormous boost to our player numbers.

Jeff
(doh, posting this from a test account...)
Old 11-05-2014
Cadet

I will have to revisit STEAM

Maybe I have to register or join b4 I can see what they have?
Old 11-05-2014
Recruit

You don't have to register or install anything to browse their content collection:
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en...tab=TopSellers

Their definition of "strategy" is pretty broad, but as you can see there are a ton of games available.

Im more interested in finding out if you, as someone that found us on the internet or as someone that is a current player, would be willing to play if we did migrate the game to that platform.

Jeff