The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Wish List

Old 08-04-2011
Quartermaster Sergeant

Default Orders, wish list

1. Default orders be last orders received, not encamp.
2. A record copy of orders sent for prior turn.
Old 08-04-2011
Administrator
General

Hi Col John,

Thanks for the suggestions.

On request No. 1 Im not sure we want to change the default orders since any missed turns would result in no "resting" bonus for unmoved units. On request No. 2 we have been toying with the idea of a more expansive turn summary report that would tell you exactly what happened to each unit in the last turn. Is that what you were thinking? Or am I misunderstanding?

Jeff
Old 08-04-2011
Cadet

A minor improvement for those of us lacking in the memory department would be a feature that noted somewhere or the welcome page whether or not we have issued orders for the current turn or not. I sometimes have serious mental lapses. Oh, and another nice feature would be to note wether or not we have already issued orders for the current turn.

I think the C.O.I. tab as it currently exists shows if your opponent has issues orders or not could I could be mistaken about this. Something like this to show if our own orders have been issues would be helpfull too.

Gen. Dane Rosell :
Old 08-04-2011
Cadet

This would also let you know that you had issued your orders succesfully. I missed one turn just because I was in a hurry and I assumed that the orders went through.

Gen. Dane Rosell :
Old 08-04-2011
Quartermaster Sergeant

Ref. request #1,
a. What's a "resting" bonus?
b. Find a way to accommodate a "resting" bonus without having units retreating from entrenched defensive positions they were ordered to defend/hold

Ref. #2, Exactly, it would be nice to see the differences between what we think we sent as compared to orders received, versus orders executed executed.

Lastly, and this is more of a glitch than a wish, had 3 actions so far where units had more casualties than their strength, and was subsequently rolled up in total casulaty counts. It occurs when defender has higher strength numbers than attacker and suffer higher casualty numbers than the attacker strength (eg. CAV meeting lone limbered ART during movement phase).
Old 08-04-2011
Administrator
General

Noted.

Im sure we can find some room in the Current Games listing to display your own orders status.
Old 08-04-2011
Administrator
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col John Moseby View Post
Ref. request #1,
a. What's a "resting" bonus?
b. Find a way to accommodate a "resting" bonus without having units retreating from entrenched defensive positions they were ordered to defend/hold

Ref. #2, Exactly, it would be nice to see the differences between what we think we sent as compared to orders received, versus orders executed executed.

Lastly, and this is more of a glitch than a wish, had 3 actions so far where units had more casualties than their strength, and was subsequently rolled up in total casulaty counts. It occurs when defender has higher strength numbers than attacker and suffer higher casualty numbers than the attacker strength (eg. CAV meeting lone limbered ART during movement phase).
The "Resting" bonus is just a non-ordered "Encamp". Your units waste 1/2 the turn waiting for your orders before they encamp. So you get 1/2 the morale and fit for duty increase that you would get if you properly "Encamped" your units.

Im confused about part b. If your units were attacked and were not given any orders they would defend as normal (The default action for any unit involved in combat). If the unit moved out of the hex it would be due to a loss in the combat. They would receive any defensive bonus from entrenchments. The only other thing that might make a difference in that situation would be issuing a "Resolute Defense" order. Which would make them less likely to give ground, however they would take heaver losses. Let me know what game this happened in and Ill take a look, if this doesn't sound right.

On Ref 2. I agree, and we will definitely bump it up the work queue, since it looks like it would be a popular feature.

On the glitch, can you let me know which game this happened in so I can take a look? Sounds like something went wrong.

Thanks for the feedback, We truly appreciate it!

Jeff

Last edited by mesadmin3; 08-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2011
Quartermaster Sergeant

Jeff,
Beta 340.

While there, take a gander at how them dang Yankees retreated 7 INF units and 1 ART across the "impassable" Shenandoah river last turn at other than bridge, or ford hexes. Maybe there's "backstroke", "part a river like the red sea", "retreat on water", or "entrench and build and arc" movement options??? If Caledonia has Moses, Noah and/or Jesus on his side, I shall humbly concede the south.

May want to consider adding capture/surrender as an alternative to retreat or casualty.
Else we shall endeavor to make more good Yankees!

On a more serious note, Great Game!
Old 08-05-2011
Lieutenant Colonel

mosby.. moses, noah or Jesus didn't get them to the other side... them yanks can swim when their in a jam.... but you are correct.. they did get to the other side... lucky me
Old 08-05-2011
Administrator
General

Was it a retreat from a combat? That's definitely a bug. I'll notify Ranger (our CEO and Engine programmer). I know we were doing some small changes to the retreat algorithm, so it sounds like a new bug slipped in.

As for a religious advantage, you'd have to check with caledonia on that one...

Jeff