The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Announcements

Old 09-24-2014
Cadet

Default Finding reliable players

While surfing the net the other day, I came across Campaign 1863.

It seemed interesting, so I registered. Because I don't know how to play, I thought it best to get into a 5 x 5 so I could learn while having only a minimal ability to mess up.

After 5-6 days, the game did not fill up.

I am informed that there is a reluctance to join multi-player games because bratty types will drop out and ruin the game.

This is a problem. I would not want to play one on one with a very good player because I would hardly give them a good game, and I would not want to play against a lousy player because its no fun beating lousy players and you learn nada.

Is there some way to organize a multi-player game using only players that are known to be reliable? Perhaps we could form some sort of association open to only mature and responsible individuals?
Old 09-24-2014
Cadet

I agree with your assessment. So far I have been fortunate to not miss any turns (but stuff does happen). Please include me in you list of players for the future.
P.S. what really pisses me off is when the opponent does not resign but simple strings you along for three missed turns.
e721420
Old 09-24-2014
Cadet

I agree with your assessment. What is particularly annoying is when the opponent does not resign but makes no move in three days leaving you to guess his intentions.

I have not missed any turns (although stuff can happen). Please consider me as a future opponent.
e721420
Old 09-28-2014
Corporal

Thumbs down Suitable players

Noon-kah,

I can totally empathize with you. When I first started this game I was the same way and found it difficult; slow paced and confusing. However, I would suggest playing a member with good or better skills and try to learn from their actions. Eventually you'll be able to pick up on different strategies for playing different commands.

Don't give up. It's a great game and you'll wind up spending countless hours enjoying it.
Old 10-24-2014
Cadet

Howdy-

In last ten days, won 3 games due to 3 dif players dropping out. This is a TOTAL waste of time. This follows a first experience where I found the victory conditions, and other problems, made the game heavily tilted in favor of the Union.

I have discussed this with admin and they do seem willing to listen and have made some minor mods but the fundamental issues remain. From my POV, it really seems odd that the game situation does so much to discourage play.

The last thing I want is to play untold hours. I would like to play at least one game through just to see if its worth paying for.

I don't know what the technical limitations are, but I would be happy to work with admin to make the game viable which, in turn, would make it more profitable for them
Old 10-24-2014
Administrator
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noon-Kah View Post
Howdy-

In last ten days, won 3 games due to 3 dif players dropping out. This is a TOTAL waste of time. This follows a first experience where I found the victory conditions, and other problems, made the game heavily tilted in favor of the Union.

I have discussed this with admin and they do seem willing to listen and have made some minor mods but the fundamental issues remain. From my POV, it really seems odd that the game situation does so much to discourage play.

The last thing I want is to play untold hours. I would like to play at least one game through just to see if its worth paying for.

I don't know what the technical limitations are, but I would be happy to work with admin to make the game viable which, in turn, would make it more profitable for them
Hi Noon-Kah,

Im really sorry that you've had troubles playing, and I'd like to thank you for sticking it out and giving the game a shot.

We are currently working on a complete game overhaul (currently called Clash of Command) that we hope will address many of the issues you've encountered and been frustrated by (as have we). Im not quite ready to disclose the entirety of the remake, however we hope to run a prototype test of a Quick Play system within the next month. Quick play will run a turn once all players have submitted their orders, or once a time limit is reached (20 or 30 mins is our current thinking, but it obviously needs to be tested). I will announce here when we are ready to sign a few of you guys up for a test of the Prototype Quick Play system game.

Also just an FYI we are a very small dev team that works on C63/Clash of Command part time, as we've got other jobs that pay the bills. This means our dev process is slower than we would like, but we are still hard at work on the game.

Thanks again for giving us a shot. Hopefully you find a worthy opponent soon.

Jeff