The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Tips and tricks

Old 02-20-2014
Cadet

Default Combat

I have a few questions regarding combat:

1) What does +10% defender BONUS and -50% attacker PENALTY mean. Do the percentages apply to the number of FFD and therefore reduce the casualties inflicted?

2) Lets say I have a unit on Hex97 on the Haggerstown map and it begins the turn adjacent to a enemy unit on Hex108.

Case 1. both units are issued a defend order and are not instructed to move, does combat occur?
Case 2. Same conditions as (1) but both are issued a reinforce order. The unit on Hex97 is adjacent to a friendly on Hex85 and the other unit is adjacent to its friendly on hex120. Does combat occur between the Hex 97 and Hex108 units? Are the Hex85 and Hex120 units involved?

3) What are the Penalty/Bonus affects on units in or attacking entrenchments, these are not included in the great summary table in the manual.

Thanks,
e721420
Old 02-21-2014
Cadet

Default Combat

Thanks for your help. I find myself experimenting also where there is no detail in the manual.
Old 02-21-2014
Administrator
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e721420 View Post
Thanks for your help. I find myself experimenting also where there is no detail in the manual.
Hi e,

Evers is spot on. Off the top of my head, Entrenchments are 20% bonus. Ill have to check with the engine programmer to be certain (we haven't touched that code in a while)

Jeff
Old 02-22-2014
Corporal

...and do not forget the important role morale plays> units with poor morale will often not follow the orders issued...at least i believe that is what is happening. And when units are victorious their morale increases ( +5 ) while the defeated units morale decreases ( -5 ).
This swing can often lead to opportunities to press the attack.
the game is excellently designed to encompass a great deal of battlefield factors.
Many of us here are 'old' avalon hill gamers. Those were the games that took 2 hours to set up, then 2 hours to execute a turn with constant referral back to the manual and ceaseless bickering over sketchy moves and rule interpretations. The games usually ended when the house cat got on the board and made a mess of things......
....'third reich' 'tobruk' 'panzer blitz' .....
oh the fond memories.......
Old 02-22-2014
Administrator
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobs1959 View Post
...and do not forget the important role morale plays> units with poor morale will often not follow the orders issued...at least i believe that is what is happening. And when units are victorious their morale increases ( +5 ) while the defeated units morale decreases ( -5 ).
This swing can often lead to opportunities to press the attack.
the game is excellently designed to encompass a great deal of battlefield factors.
Many of us here are 'old' avalon hill gamers. Those were the games that took 2 hours to set up, then 2 hours to execute a turn with constant referral back to the manual and ceaseless bickering over sketchy moves and rule interpretations. The games usually ended when the house cat got on the board and made a mess of things......
....'third reich' 'tobruk' 'panzer blitz' .....
oh the fond memories.......
Ah the infamous battle of Whiskers the Cat. Many a good man was lost on that fateful day...

Zobs is right, morale is critical to the performance of your troops

Jeff
Old 02-22-2014
Cadet

Default Combat

Thanks Gentleman

Sorry for being thick...
The one HEX away rule applied in a Defense is from the reinforcing unit to the friendly defending unit and not necessarily one hex from the attacking unit??? Another words the reinforcing unit can be behind the defending unit. Is this also true in an Attack?'

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 02-26-2014
Administrator
General

Sorry for the delay. Im traveling right now.

I think I understand your question, and yes, the reinforce order works as a defensive mechanic best (meaning you can't extend past the unit your friendly unit controls).
Hope that makes sense.

Jeff