The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Tips and tricks

Old 08-20-2010
Administrator
General

Default Stacks and movement congestion

Those that have read the manual (novel concept I know) know that the maximum number of units that can occupy a hex is 4. The first question most people have is "Why can I move my units through a hex that is already filled with four friendly units?" The reason for this is due to the nature of our WEGO movement system. Since all players orders are processed at the same time the hex that began the turn full may in fact be empty by the time your units attempt to carry out your orders. So you can see how important communication is between players.

There is another significant impact that stacks have on movement. If a hex has less than four units movement through the hex is possible, but the maximum is still a factor. Lets say you have four units on a turnpike and you want to move them through a hex that ends up with 3 friendlies. You issue your orders for your units to move through the hex and you assume that all 4 will end up in the hex you want them to move to, but because they can't all occupy the hex that has 3 units already in it, only 1 may enter the hex to pass through at a time. So according to our congestion rules the other 3 units have to wait until your first unit passes through. Once that unit passes through the next unit is free to enter the congested hex and so on until all four of your units have passed through the hex. So far so good, however since your second, third and fourth units had to wait around to enter the hex they are now delayed by an hour for each unit they had to wait for, which may or may not affect whether they reach their target destination.

So the tip here is to carefully consider where you stack units
. If you need or are expecting reinforcements make sure you leave as clear a path for them as you can. And remember that a stack of 4, while powerful, will block any movement, even for your fellow commanders.
Old 08-20-2010
Recruit

Default Blocking hexes

I have learned this the hard way! I could not get through a hex full of friendlies because the friendlies did not move. I was stuck and had to waste precious time and movement points, slowly plugging across rough territory to reach my destination, as the friendlies failed to move for several turns, even though they were supposed to (Wraithed!). It's been slow going but I'm finally getting there.
I think this tip will be invaluable in future games and I know now not to block others as well.
-Claire
Old 04-17-2014
Recruit

i am stuck at snickers Ferry. i control hexs on both sides of the crossing (3 stacked inf units either side. i am tring to get a couple stranded units across.i tried "withdrawal " and moved units all the way through both controled hexs to the rear. the next day the units are still there in worse shape than the day before. what is preventing them form crossing? do i need to fort up and do the best i can i the "wrong side of the river? will i have to kiss the units good by? game is beta 4296. thx JPM
Old 04-18-2014
Administrator
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
i am stuck at snickers Ferry. i control hexs on both sides of the crossing (3 stacked inf units either side. i am tring to get a couple stranded units across.i tried "withdrawal " and moved units all the way through both controled hexs to the rear. the next day the units are still there in worse shape than the day before. what is preventing them form crossing? do i need to fort up and do the best i can i the "wrong side of the river? will i have to kiss the units good by? game is beta 4296. thx JPM
Not sure about your previous turns, but right now it looks like you've got 4 units in Harpers Ferry hex. Unless you move 1 of them no other units will be able to pass through the hex.

Jeff