The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Southern Camp

Old 01-14-2013
Cadet

Default A couple of questions?

I'm making good progress in the game and am learning the southern strategy....and the northern strategy... thanks to some deadly opponents.
I STILL think the odds are tilted due to militia but I'm learning how to select targets more effectively.

..anyway a question...When attacking an enemy hex, is it better/necessary to actually place the attacking units IN the hex with the enemy or is it enough just to have them stop adjacent to the target hex? Same question for conducting "probes".

Also...I'm hoping the HQ units will soon show some benefits for having them close to an action and deficits for losing one of them. Maybe effectiveness of the troops can increase if an HQ unit is nearby, for example.
I hate using them as "scouts".

Also; What is the significance of having the hexes numbered? What does that do?

Nice work on the recent improvements. Definitely getting better.
Thanks.
NBF
Old 01-14-2013
Captain

Default nbf

I know i'll hate myself for telling you this but, when attacking... move to where you want you units to end even if it means moving through your opponents hex.. someday I'll we'll be on the same side and i'll want you to know this...i have not noticed that HQ units are good for anything but scouts...i could be wrong.. ( please clarify admin). As for numbered hexes,,,, if you are playing with another player the can give or recieve more precise orders...
Old 01-14-2013
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I know i'll hate myself for telling you this but, when attacking... move to where you want you units to end even if it means moving through your opponents hex.. someday I'll we'll be on the same side and i'll want you to know this...
Noted. ...and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia
i have not noticed that HQ units are good for anything but scouts...i could be wrong.. ( please clarify admin).
That's what I'm saying..I think...Exactly what ARE HQ units for?

There is no benefit to having them on the field/near the action or AWAY from the action and if they get wiped out there is no "penalty". Everything continues as before.

What are they for exactly?
Old 01-14-2013
Administrator
General

Nope, HQ's are just glorified scouts right now. We have plans for HQ units to be able to "lead from the front" (boost combat ratings) and to affect command and control ratings, but its going to be a bit before we can implement.

Cal is right, hex numbering is just to make communication easier for you guys. He is also right about attacks. If the combat doesn't take too long (this is based on the size of the combat) your troops can continue movement. So if your opponent is blocking a city hex. Plan your orders for them to continue on if you win the combat.

We're tinkering with the milita now. We may or may not change them, gotta run through a bunch more testing before we can say...

Jeff
Old 01-14-2013
Private

Default No Question

Whoa Nelly, or whatever that horse's name is, no question the Hdqtrs. plays not only, the scouting role, but it makes terrific bait! Furthermore, the game is historically accurate with the proper units in place as it was at the time, as best I can tell, and I appreciate constructive criticism, but I thought this is history not fantasy! The Hdqtrs. will have its enhanced qualities that it rightfully deserves in due time and that suits me fine! Until then, the ancient "Chicoan native" myths say, when they got too testy with the militia, they came out of their entrenchments and shook the "l" outta everything in sight, and the ancient "Chicoan natives" learned their lesson and won't get fooled agin'! Hats off to mesamod, he'll do the right thing!

Last edited by foxsea; 01-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.