The Campaign of 1863  

Go Back   The Campaign of 1863 > Test Forum

Old 04-01-2019
Recruit

Default Tutorial

Greetings, Earthlings! (a nod to _Flash_Gordon_, a great flick)

I use Linux (Ubuntu) as the OS on my main "internet" computer, with Firefox as my browser. I have the latest Flash plugin, but when I try to go to the tutorial all I get is a white screen. I have checked out scads of forums and none of the suggestions pertaining to Adobe, Flash and Shockwave and a "white screen" issue have worked for me. I keep getting the white screen (despite the constant, empty declarations of [SOLVED!] you read on those forums).

How vital is the tutorial (or Flash, for that matter) for playing the game? Is it necessary ONLY for the tutorial but not for the game itself?

Chet
Old 04-01-2019
Administrator
General

Hi Chet,

The game itself is written in Flash, so we'll have to get that sorted in order to play. What browser are you using?

Jeff
Old 04-01-2019
Recruit

Firefox in my Linux computer. The other computer has Windows 7 with Chrome as the browser.

Just typing this out gives me the distinct impression that I am working with some downright ancient equipment. Ah, well. You run into these sorts of issues when you're not exactly a computer guy.

Chet
Old 04-01-2019
Quartermaster Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Mc View Post
Firefox in my Linux computer. The other computer has Windows 7 with Chrome as the browser.

Just typing this out gives me the distinct impression that I am working with some downright ancient equipment. Ah, well. You run into these sorts of issues when you're not exactly a computer guy.

Chet
Chet,

My brother has trouble using Safari as a browser. It's not that you are antiquated....the platform for C63 is. I find that Windows 7 and IE works best, with up-to-date Flashplayer.

Jeff is working on an updated solution.

The tutorial is not important. Read the on-line manual and ask questions.....everyone here is very helpful. Not everything is clear from the manual.

Post any questions....this is a great game!

Best Regards,

R. Banford

Last edited by Robert Banford; 04-01-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2019
Recruit

Thanks, man!

Yeah, this game looks interesting. I have always been partial to that old Avalon Hill style, and I like the idea of playing that style but playing team vs team.
Old 04-02-2019
Quartermaster Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Mc View Post
Thanks, man!

Yeah, this game looks interesting. I have always been partial to that old Avalon Hill style, and I like the idea of playing that style but playing team vs team.
2v2 is great fun! Haven't tried a bigger game....might be too much to put together.
Old 04-02-2019
Private

Chet Mc

Have you been able to get demo to work?
Old 04-03-2019
Recruit

I never got the demo to work.

I joined a game, got an email about that game starting, went to play, and got the white screen again. Unfortunately, I had to quit that game.

I can see how the tutorial isn't necessary to play the game (insofar as knowing what it's about), but you do have to get the tutorial to work in order to actually, physically, see the game on the screen.

I'll noodle something through. As I mentioned, I use Chrome on my Windows 7 machine, so I'll see what I can do on that thing.
Old 04-03-2019
Recruit

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello! What 'ave we 'ere?

I downloaded the Tutorial screen and ran it with Flash but Adobe told me to go pound sand. About ten minutes later, for laughs, I right-clicked on the Tutorial file and one of the options I had was to open the Tutorial using "Gnash SWF Viewer" (I believe this is a Linux program ... could be wrong) and, Lo and Behold, up comes the Tutorial! I was about to give up on this game, but Fate showed me once again why people like to call her fickle.

Not one person in all of those forums I looked at even suggested I do that! Well, what can I say ... that's Linux for ya!

I went through the Tutorial and all I can say is I think I got it, although I am sure there will be a lot of Keystone Kops moments.

Tschuess!
Old 04-03-2019
Private

fantastic.